Sunday, February 17, 2008

Missing Nemo

I had to take Nemo back to Delaware last Saturday. It was a weekend full of sadness . . . It was the right thing to do. He missed his way of life; his freedom and his cats and his fenced in yard and other people who love him as much as I do. My sister's puppy was annoying him, and they finally had a tiff over a chew toy, and Nemo snapped at him. Since I am essentially a guest in my sister's house, her puppy rules the way of life here. I cried all the way back on Sunday through the blizzards and the rain and the fog - one of the most difficult days so far. I saw my son for about seven minutes as he met me in the driveway of the house to do the Nemo transfer. He had brought out some plastic bins I previously packed and then I was left. I never went inside. I was going to go in to get a photo album but I couldn't do it. I spent dinner and the night with my daughter and was off again the next morning. No one said this was easy. The memories and sadness for what is left behind sometimes overtakes me. Sometimes the past tells me I should go back. That I should not have left. I know I can't go back - I would not be welcome back. It just isn't the right thing to do. It hurts. I know the hurt and sadness will pass. I also know that there is a place in my heart where all of those years will live forever. The wonderful days, the loving times, the memories, the holidays, the work days and the day to day of raising two wonderful kids who have become amazing adults. A day at a time . . . Baby steps forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment