Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Why Am I Such A Misfit?

I accept the premise that things happen for a reason. I accept the theory that the right thing will come along. I accept the notion that I am right where I need to be. I accept the requirement that I must be patient. However, I am agitated and feel like a misfit toy.

Today I interviewed for the Macys position that has been frozen. I made my first insider phone contact with EDS who told me the women in charge of RI and MA are looking at my resume to find a fit according to the openings they have. "But you do have a background in the arts, so we are trying to find a fit." I told her that I was looking for an entry level position, not a glorious position. She perked up a bit. I said that I'd like the opportunity of an interview so I could discuss my skills that lay underneath my titles and job duties on my resume. She told me the RI woman in charge would be calling me soon.

Well, yes, I DO have a background in the arts. That doesn't make me stupid, flighty, insignificant, frivolous, temperamental, unreliable, spoiled, unintelligent or unskilled! People are sooooo very quick to judge and make assumptions about anything with the A R T word attached to it.

Mmmmmmm . . . maybe I SHOULD be teaching private drawing lessons to kids. . . which is what I shook off last summer as being impossible. Today, the possible looks impossible even within the rules of proper engagement and nepotism. Perhaps it is time to step outside the rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment