Sunday, January 27, 2008

I Know it is Still Who You Know

In stepping up my job search, some frustrations must be dealt with. Many jobs are posted as "apply online" and this obviously removes the person to person connection which used to be so valuable and productive. This is frustrating. It has been years since I have actually had to apply for a job and the arena has changed drastically. This is frustrating, but I think I've figured out the new way of presenting myself for consideration. Advice and strategy from friends indicates that people are still hired because they were friends with someone who works there, or more directly, friends with someone who does the hiring. This is frustrating because my circle of people in RI is still very, very small.

In that light I have applied for a job as Director of Development and Communications at Marriage Equality RI through a tip from Bobby. It seems he is friends with Jenn, the Executive Director. I have sent my cover letter and resume, highlighting my development and communications accomplishments to Jenn. Hopefully I will land an interview in this upcoming week.

I have also applied for a beautiful position at Providence Children's Museum. I don't know the Director of Education, but I did call her to make a connection. Hopefully, this will help land an interview too.






Come on Job Gods - do your stuff on my behalf!

No comments:

Post a Comment