Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Board vs Staff

Received news today from a friend who experienced the power Trustees wield in an organization. One small error, in the wrong place at the wrong time launched a larger than expected reaction . . . and it looks like she's on her way . . . It's a reality in the non-profit world that boards are granted enormous respect and exceptions to rules in exchange for excellent stewardship. Sometimes it doesn't seem fair and staff being told "we request that you find a new job" happens. It cuts deep. Reality hurts. You accept it or you don't. Can you fight it? Wrongful termination? You certainly could. HR strategy: Resignation over Termination. Pay the unemployment if necessary. Would I fight it? No. It's a universe that is reserved for the wealthy, connected and powerful who serve the organization at the top. What would you gain from the fight? "I have my pride." This concept line from the film The Women comes to mind. Personally, I would disappear the next day and consider it a lesson. But I'm not her. I haven't been slashed with the emotional knife that says Worthless To Us.

My heart is aching for my friend. But as an "emerging leader" in arts management, I know there are two sides here, and the well-being of the organization usually wins. The view from the studio today was a sad one.

No comments:

Post a Comment